2.9.08

Oliver Twist

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
Recommended Reading Age: 14
Rating: 10+

Oliver Twist was probably one of the best books I have ever read. The literacy was great and the plot was enthralling.

The story starts with the main character, Oliver, being born in a parish workhouse. He lives in squalor there for the first years of his life. Through a series of events, he goes to London. While on the road there he meets a boy who is part of a gang of reprobates which is made up of pickpockets and a harlot. They try to lead young Oliver into their life but he escapes, for a time. All to soon, however, he is recaptured and held by the gang. Eventually, he is saved yet again and he goes to live in happiness. The grand finale is wonderful for him, yet justly awful for the criminals.

This book was clearly written for an adult audience, so you're going to come across drinking, smoking, murder and harlotry (there are no details on this, I think that it was included so that the woman could have an occupation befitting a criminal). There were also some bad words. However, all of these things were clearly explained by Dickens in his preface. He said "As I saw no reason, when I wrote this book, why the dregs of life (so long as their speech does not offend the ear) should not serve the purpose of a moral..." I was struck by this reason and I think that it is a very good one. In this book, the criminals are not to be envied. They are painted in such a way so as to reveal just how frightening they are and how undesirable their life is.

Don't get me wrong, that is not the bulk of the book. I don't want to paint it as all bad, because it wasn't. I haven't told half the story, so that it will be just as suspenseful if and when you read it. There were some touching and humorously sarcastic parts. It also reflects well the general views of the different classes in Victorian England. A wonderful read.

10 comments:

Erin said...

it sounds like a good book! i have never read it(i dont usally like sad books) but i might try it now!
by the way your blog is so cool!
Erin

Miriam Pauline said...

Lucie I came over from your Mom's site and I am so impressed. I'm bookmarking you into my "homeschool" section so I can continue to build a reading list for my 6 and 3 year olds to grow into. Thanks!

And btw...I love your profile. Well said!

missy said...

Lucie,
I am a blog friend of your Mom's and just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed reading your book reviews! You are a wonderful writer. This is a book I've never taken the time to read...I attended a public school, needless to say!

Keep the reviews coming!!

Nortons said...

Lucie,

I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time and effort to review the books you have read. I'm looking foward to marking your blog and referring to it in the future.

Thank you,
Heather

Anonymous said...

Charles Dickens is one of my daughter's favorites!

Unknown said...

Okay, I've never been into Dickens. I would like to read one of his books... I can't find it on my shelf at the moment so I can't name it. Someone steals silverware at the beginning? lol

I'm very interested in the book you're reading currently!

Have you read the Scarlet Pimpernel? By Baroness Emmuska Orczy? It was first published in 1905 and it's based in 1792 and the French revolution. I think if you like Dickens you would like this book as well.... just a thought....

Blessings,
Ashley
www.homesteadblogger.com/Jonash2004

Anonymous said...

Oliver Twist! YES! I was trying to think of that book the other day! Tried describing it and the musical and NOBODY knew what I was talking about! Good for you and your great taste in books!

You are a girl after my own book loving heart. Good job on the review. Now, if I could just figure out how to comment by signing in. . .
Val

Dillo said...

Lucie,
I too am visiting by invitation of your mom. I've never read any of these books; but now think that I will.

Keep up the writing. You write well---clearly presenting your points in an interesting fashion. That gift alone can take you far.....

Dawn said...

I am blog friend of your mom's. I am very impressed - I used to, when I was your age and through school (yes, public school), read really good books - classics. I often think to myself that I ought to go back and re-read them now that I'm retired. I have a tendency now to read fun kind of fluff stuff. But I always have a book going, and with me in case I have a spare minute somewhere.

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

What a great review, "Lucie"! :)

My boys have recently discovered Dickens, in a book that abridges several of his tales. Great Expectations has to be my favorite Dickens, and my oldest, who is nine, has declared it will be the first one he reads and will be his favorite as well. :)

Have you read Jane Eyre? I read it at the tender age of nine (!) and it remains my favorite book of all time today.

Thanks for doing these reviews, young friend!