15.12.08

Little Women

by Louisa May Alcott
Rating: 10
Recommended reading age: 10

This is a book that a book review blog really can't be without. I first read it at about the age of nine or ten. Though this is not one of my very favorite books--it's not a terribly challenging read for me at my age--but it still has a certain
amount of whimsy that is very refreshing. I could have some reserve because the author was a Unitarian, but most of the hints that are spiritual don't really lean that way, as far as I can tell. Even so, I would be on my guard when reading this book for false doctrine.

Many of the lessons in this book are useful, but more true-to- life than many a book written in that era. There are some hilarious parts, such as the one in "Amy's Will" where an impertinent parrot squawks out some very well-timed insults to various persons concerned. I found that very funny.

For those of you who have not read this book, and don't know the general story plot, here it is:

Taking place during the civil war, the book opens to the four March sisters complaining and being generally discontented about a meager Christmas. The rest of the book outlines various instances, trial and experiences that the March family goes through-- particularly the girls-- to come out as lovely "little women." This is, I think, a worthwhile read, if only for the interest of watching a semi-fictitious family go through their semi-fictitious life together. Of course, don't get stuck on this reading level or genre for ever, as other posts on this blog suggest. All the same, don't forget to read this one if you haven't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never read Little Woman, but I have read little men. I have watched the movie, though. Love your blog!

Sarah said...

Neat blog! I was looking at your header, and Georgie looks so little! (compared to Prince Caspian)

Sarah