11.11.09

Animal Farm

This witty satire by the British author George Orwell is a very intelligent and creative warning about the rise of communism and Stalin's regime.

The story starts with a wise patriarchal pig gathering the farm animals around him and telling about a dream he just had. Their human oppressors will be overthrown and the animals will live together in peace and cooperation. Not only does his vision divulge this veritable Utopia, but the ancient and long lost song "Beasts of England" is revealed to him. Soon after, the old pig dies, and the animals indeed do revolt against the humans, using this vision and song as their talisman. At first, though life is hard and full of work, the animals feel their freedom like an exhilirating breeze. But the remaining pigs start to subtly become more and more ambitious until things seem to be taking a U-turn back to the days of the humans.

Of all the books I've ever read, this book probably is most comparative to The Lord of the Flies in that they both express what a race would deteriorate into if there were nobody to hold it accountable. This book was definitely thought-provoking, interesting and entertaining.

8 comments:

Hannah Nicole said...

I LOVED this book! It was so great! ^^

Unknown said...

I've read this book, and found it very thought-provoking as well. Definitely a sobering subject.

Marian said...

I don't normally like endings that just "stop", but I really liked the ending of this book...it's a bit eerie and kind of sad.

Unknown said...

I awarded you!

Joanna said...

I wasn't a huge fan of this book at first, but it was certainly cleverly written. When the horse (can't remember his name) got shipped off I was really upset for the rest of the day. SO unfair. ;-) It grew on me after I read it.

Kendra Logan said...

I read this book for school this year and liked it, too! It was a bit to obvious to be one of my FAVORITES, but I really enjoyed it!

~Kendra

Anonymous said...

Hey, Lucie, I'd be glad to do ya, but there's form you can fill out here for the paticulars:
http://unthink-it-makeovers.blogspot.com/

Thanks!! :)

Awel

That Blond Guy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.