30.8.08

The Endless Steppe

The Endless Steppe by Esther Hautzig
Recommended Reading Age: 9 up
Rating: 10

I've always really appreciated this book. I have read it about four times and when the library basket runs low and I'm bored with every other book on our shelf, I pick this one up and read it. It is about a ten-year-old girl who is deported from her beloved home in Vilna, Poland with her family at the brink of World War II. The book describes the hardships of living in Siberia, not only in its renowned winter, but in summer as well. Some of the things that they do so that they can just barely survive are quite remarkable (no, I am not talking about gruesome episodes, but of hard and tedious work). The only thing that I can think of that is objectionable is that in one chapter the main character talks about a crush that she had. Other than that I can't think of anything. This book was a very good read.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I read this book when I was a kid and I enjoyed it also. WWII and related areas of history have always fascinated me.

Livi said...

Ooo....I really like this book!!