3.10.08

The Shining Company


The Shining Company by Rosemary Sutcliff
Rating: 8
Recommended Reading Age: 13

When I first started this book, I thought "oh, this one isn't half as good as The Three Legions." So I put it down. Later, when I was really bored, I picked it back up and read it. I am so glad that I did!

The book is about when a king of the British called for extra warriors to beat back the Saxons. The main character is Prosper, who is chosen as a prince's shield bearer. He follows his lord into the ensuing conflict, where both his fellow shield bearer and master are killed. He then rescues another man after he was wounded the rest is very exciting.

There were quite a few *ahem* disgusting moments, where some deaths were described enough so that I could get the idea about just how awful they were.

All in all, however, I really enjoyed this book.

2 comments:

Erin said...

i thought this was a good book too, but i didnt like it as much as the eagle of the ninth.:)

Shannon Lise said...

Hi Lucie!

I am really enjoying your book site. I have not read A Tale of Two Cities, (I think I will read it next year) but I have read many of the other books, and I really like them. Oliver Twist and David Copperfield are some of my favorites. Especially David Copperfield. Oh, and I absolutely ADORE Rosemary Sutcliffe's books. ESPECIALLY the Eagle of the Ninth. I have not read the Silver Branch or the Shining Company (I have not been able to find them) but I love the Old Britain theme, and I really enjoyed the Eagle of the Ninth, Blood Feud, Knight's Fee, The Dark Queen, and The Lantern Bearers.

And I am so sorry that I have not answered your tag. It's ok if I answer it in a comment?

6 Random Things About Myself

Here goes:

1. I like making costumes - Lord of the Rings, Narnia, medieval, etc. (Well, actually, that may not be true. I like using costumes, and I like having made them, but the making itself...)

2. I am particularly unfond of spiders.

3. I do a LOT of reading and I think that C.S. Lewis and Tolkien were literary geniuses.

4. I can quote the 'Princess Bride' word for word, look for look, gesture for gesture. (Almost. I should be able to by now, having seen it 30+ times)

5. I am presently about half way through writing a lengthy, fantasy fiction novel, which is on its way to the best seller list - in my dreams...

6. I think that Lucie should create a once-in-a-liftime phenomena called a 'book-tag' to replace the rather pointless tags that are circulating the blog world.

7. This is for bonus points. If it is so ordained that in the terribly unpredictable future somebody DOES create a book tag, I will try to be the first one to answer it, whether I am tagged or not.

And I can't think of six people who would forgive me for tagging them, so, everyone who reads this is welcome to answer it if they so desire!


Namarie,
Raora

P.S. I think I will post this on your other blog as well, if that's ok. If you don't want two copies feel free to take it off.