27.10.08

The Scarlet Pimpernel



By Baroness Emma Orczy
Rating: 10++
Age: 13


I suppose that before I read this book, I had preconceived notions about its storyline, partly from a Looney Tunes that is called The Scarlet Pumpernickel and from an old movie with Hermione-something-or-other. Neither of these even bordered on the suspense-full storyline of this book. Especially not the Looney Tune.

The story is about a mysterious English man who seems to spirit condemned aristocrats right from the guillotine during the French Revolution. The rebel "French government" has worked itself into a tizzy over the fact that even their wittiest spies are unable to apprehend the elusive character. This is why they send over Chauvelin, a spy disguised as a diplomat, to try to find out who the man is. Through a series of events, Chauvelin uses threats about Marguerite Blakeney's brother to force her to help spy out the Scarlet Pimpernel. Marguerite is the wife of Lord Percy Blakeney, an intimate friend of the Prince of Wales and therefore the center of London society, making Marguerite a likely person to be of help spying. This task sends Marguerite into a whirlwind of agony over whether to betray the national hero, or save her brother from death. I could go on and on, but I don't want to ruin the story!

This was such a wonderful book that I could not bear to put it down. Even at 1:30. AM. I had had some Mountain Dew the evening before, thinking it an innocent equivalent of Sprite in regard to caffeine (lol. ahem). So I was up all night. What a perfect time it was to finish the novel!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Oh! I love this book! Coincidentally, I was also up till 1:00 am finishing it! Wonderful book.
~Joanna

Lucie Manette said...

Lol... that's funny! Had you had some Mountain Dew, too? :)